We like green things
We take “being green” very seriously at iQ Student Accommodation! Quintain, our parent company, is at the forefront of sustainable development in the UK. Recent projects include an award winning zero carbon housing scheme OneBrighton.
Here are just a few of the ways we work hard to improve our sustainability and impact on the environment:
- Studies show that 90% of us would recycle more if it was easier which is why we’ve made sure we have comprehensive recycling strategies in place at each and every iQ site to keep it as easy as possible for our students.
- Lighting constitutes a BIG proportion of energy consumption in the UK. To help keep this down at iQ, we use low-energy lighting and lighting controls throughout our buildings.
- iQ complies with the "Dark Sky" initiative which seeks to reduce light pollution across the planet
- Our buildings use only super high performance insulation to ensure we have a minimal air leakage factor – and also keep our students snug and warm in the winter!
- Most of our sites use “triple A” rated appliances to help reduce wasted energy
- Before our buildings first open, least 98% of construction waste has been reused or recycled.
- We encourage green forms of transport by including secure bike stores at every site and we ensure all our iQ locations are close to university campuses and good public transport links to avoid heavy car usage.
- iQ is one of 500 signatories to the “Halving waste to landfill” project which is committed to halving the amount of construction, demolition and excavation waste going to landfill by 2012
- We’re getting better all the time! We are constantly looking at ways to improve the sustainability of our buildings and major million pound improvement works are currently underway at iQ Nottingham and iQ Birmingham.
- We are very proud of our green roof at iQ Hoxton. The inclusion of green roofs helps form natural insulation for the building, absorbs rainwater to avoid flooding and provides an important habitat for wildlife in a very urbanised area.
- We’re always looking for new ways to improve our sustainability and improve our carbon footprint – why not search our blog to see what else we’ve been up to!
- 0207 478 9525
- hello [at] loveiq [dot] co [dot] uk
- iQ Student Accommodation
16 Grosvenor Street
Watch your Energy in Preston
Our student accommodation in Preston held an energy saving competition in February. The flat which used the lowest amount of energy received £40 Dominio's Pizza vouchers.